Thursday, March 3, 2011

National Invasive Species Awareness Week

OK, so I was not on the ball enough to get the word out early in the week on this, but at least I got to it before the week was over. One can expect only so much. This is National Invasive Species Awareness Week.

I admit I haven't been doing my share on documenting invasive plant species for Texas Invasives this past year, but I have gotten rid of many invasive plants in my yard, so I am not a complete loss.

The bottom line here: species that we import frequently are harmful to our native plants and animals and decrease biodiversity. More insects, butterflies and other important species live on native plants than on invasives.

We can each help by learning which species are invasive, planting native species in our yards and eradicating invasives whenever we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment