Monday, January 4, 2021

Product Review: Laundry Detergent

Somehow, I allowed the COVID-19 pandemic to waylay this blog. I kept up the Facebook page reasonably well, but in spite of the fact I had extra time on my hands due to a plunge in work, I just didn't take the time to work on this blog. But I have a lot of things to say that take more than a Facebook post to explain, so I decided to make time in 2021.

I have been intending for some time to look at laundry detergent. If you read earlier posts, you know that I am on a kick to try to reduce the amount of plastic that comes into my house and then goes to the landfill. Plastic laundry detergent containers are one of the items that bugged me. I was using Ecos.

The reason for that was that it was recommended to me for gray water systems. I was considering setting up such a system in case of another severe drought as we had in 2011. I haven't done that yet, however. We haven't really needed to water much since then. But you can see that there is a LOT of plastic in this product. It does work well.

Earlier this year, I started looking for something that was not in plastic. I have never really liked the powdered detergents as they never seemed to dissolve all the way, but admittedly, it has been many years since I used a powder. 

In my Facebook feed, I saw an advertisement for TruEarth.  These are very small sheets you tear off and put in the wash. I read all of the reviews online. Most people liked it, except for those with front-loading washers who indicated it didn't dissolve all the way. Top-loading washers didn't seem to have the same problem. Some of the reviewers mentioned they did not like that the sheets came in plastic packaging, but I noted this was no longer true. The packaging is cardboard, as  you can see in the picture. I thought they were a little pricey, but they do work well, they do dissolve all the way. When I first opened the package the scent was very strong, which I thought would be a problem, but the scent on the clothing after washing was very mild. Now that the package has been open for a while, most of the scent has dissipated.

Then I noted we had a new business in Wichita Falls, Sage Valley Herbs, which made products that were advertised as free of many of the harmful chemicals in many store products. I decided to give their laundry detergent a try. When I bought it the first time, I was unhappy the packaging was a plastic tub. I did tell the owner I would prefer a product without the plastic. When I bought the next batch, you can see the packaging is now paper. There is still some small amount of plastic, but it is minimal. The original product also had a very strong scent when I opened the container the first time. Again, most of it faded during the wash. I noticed this time, the current version seems to be a much lighter scent. This product also works well. You don't need much of the powder and it does dissolve well.

Ecos is less expensive than the other two products, but the other two have the advantage of little or no plastic, and the Sage Valley product is a local business, so little or no shipping. They have a shop in the Finishing Touch Plaza on Rhea Road--you'll probably find other products you like.

Both Ecos and TruEarth have relatively good ratings in trials (see this review of eco-friendly detergents from 2020). Obviously, a local product won't have the opportunity to be considered in such a test.



1 comment:

  1. I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your next article so only.Thanks! Dry cleaning pick-Up and delivery service near me

    ReplyDelete