Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Book Review: We Are the ARK


Finally retired. Yeah! Months overdue, but we made it.

I'm not a shopper for the most part. The big exception is book stores. I buy a lot of books.

I had some spare time between appointments a few weeks ago and stopped into a local bookstore to browse. I always check out the sale area--I never know when I might find a deal. I came across We Are the ARK by Mary Reynolds. I wouldn't have paid the $28.98 on the sticker (let alone the $38 listed on the book cover itself), but I think it was on sale for $4.99. I'll go that far on a whim. You can get the Kindle version for $14.99.

Overall, it's a good book. ARK stands for Acts of Regenerative Kindness. The author advocates that all of us return 50% of our yards to nature and use the other portion to grow some of our own food. This is a very similar call to arms made by Douglas Tallamy and E.O. Wilson. Ms. Reynold's book is less science than ethics/philosophy, unlike reading Tallamy and Wilson. Therefore, the book would be a good introduction for those who may feel a little intimidated by a more science-based approach. Not that there isn't some ecology principles discussed in the book, because there are. She highlights three laws:

  • Law of diversity
  • Law of interdependence
  • Law of finite resources
From this she builds a framework for her acts of regenerative kindness, with some practical and specific steps to take, regardless of the space we have to work with. These are probably the highlight of the book. She does live in Ireland, so some of her examples differ from our hot, dry climate, but the principles are the same.

The book contains many cute illustrations by Ruth Evans. 

She does have a website and nonprofit around the book. Very similar to the Homegrown National Park effort by Tallamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment