Monday, March 29, 2021

Book Review: Wasps, The Astonishing Diversity of a Misunderstood Insect

 

Yes, I have a stack of books sitting under my end table and I am finally getting to some of them to share with you.

My 9-year-old granddaughter is terrified of wasps. As far as I know, she has never been stung, but like most people, she keeps her distance from any wasp, so she doesn't have the opportunity to study them up close. 

This is a completely fascinating look at wasps, their biology, and their role in the ecosystem. Although there is a "family album" at the end of the book, this book is far more than a field guide. The pictures and illustrations are vivid. Chapters on wasp evolution, anatomy, life cycle, diversity, and behavior are well explained and illustrated. The book includes chapters on wasp mimics and predators.

I have to admit I have already spent hours pouring over this richly illustrated and fact-filled book. I expect I will revisit it often.

This book is available for $29.95 from Princeton University Press and Amazon.


No comments:

Post a Comment