Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Let's Catch Up!

It has been a long time--longer than I thought--since I have been here and posted. The good thing from my point of view, is I am retiring and will have much more time to experiment and to post.

I was making soup today for lunch (and probably a meal or two more) when I wondered, again, why people pay for canned soup when homemade soup tastes so much better, is better for you, and costs less (or, at least, not more)? I know it takes a little more time, but not by much. To the right is a picture of my soup--referred to by the grandkids as "Grandma's soup".

I made a little over 2 quarts of soup for less than $5. If you like more broth in your soup, you can add water, or put in less pasta, and you could make more for the same price or less. 

The main part of the cost was the Swanson's chicken stock. You could save a lot of money using bouillon, but it has a lot of salt in it, so I go with Swanson's, which is the best of the broths/stock I have found. I have tried several cheaper generics, and I just don't care for the flavor.

I keep leftovers in the frig and freezer for soup, so the ingredients change a little bit, but this is pretty much the recipe, because I always have these things on hand. Leftovers cost nothing as you would probably throw them away anyway.

Ingredients:

Leftover turkey (or chicken) $0 

Swanson's stock $2.99 (on sale)

1/4 onion, stalk of celery, carrot, handful of frozen corn (or leftover), 5 leaves of fresh spinach (less than $1)

Leftover mashed potatoes $0

Spices (garlic, black pepper, thyme, rosemary, sage) (maybe $0.50)

Pasta ($0.50 on sale)

Notice there is no added salt. A big difference over canned soup.  There are 4 cups in a quart, so my 2 quarts is enough for 5 servings; more for small children or adults with lighter appetites. 

Homemade soup. A treat for you belly and your wallet.

No comments:

Post a Comment